Beyond Film School Set PA training and Mentorship is different than some other programs you might have encountered. We want to get you on set and paid as quickly as possible and into a film career.
- Application Submission
- In-person Interview
- In-class lecture
- Resume Review and Finalization
- On Set Job Shadowing/Interning on Set
- *Job Referral*
- Monthly or Quarterly Meetings/Networking Events
**Acceptance and Job referral are not guaranteed
The class is limited and there is an application process to be considered for this course. Selection for the mentorship program is very competitive. While We can welcome you to join the Set PA training class not everyone will become a mentee. We want to choose successful candidates that will take this seriously. Essentially you would be on our sets working for us as well as other people in our network. You are not only representing yourself, but us as well. We are investing in you. We want to get you work, give you the confidence you need to succeed, and eventually become part of the Beyond Film School team of PAs.
The Application Process:
Our application includes an essay writing portion and/or video submission that states:
- Why do you feel you need this course?
- What have you tried to do in the past to try to get work in the Film Industry?
- Why do you want to work in the Film Industry?
- What is your long term goal, and some positions along the way you want to fill?
- Ultimately tell us about you, your situation, and what you want to do.
Along with the essay portion you will also send us your resume, as well as any material you feel we need to understand who you are to get into our program.
- Not Everyone will make it to this stage
- Will be in-person in the NYC area
If you are accepted, you can choose whether or not to accept the offer to go further in our program.
There will be a waitlist of 2 trainees in the event someone decides to not accept our offer into the program.
Space is limited to 8-10 trainees.
We begin with a 6-8 hour in-person class to give you information on topics including:
- What is Your Purpose as a Set PA
- What Your First Day will Look Like
- What to Expect on Set
- Walkie Practice and Etiquette
- Film Set Terms and Lingo You will Encounter on Set
- Difference Between Independent Sets and Union Sets
- Visuals of What You See on Set
- Introduction to Paperwork You Might Encounter on Set
- How to Keep Getting Hired
- Your attitude on Set
- Question/Answer Session
- Where You Should be Looking for Work Online
- Notes/critique on resume
- Overall impression you’re giving off to who will read it.
Each trainee will get a resume review in person (or in email if they choose) and will get notes and feedback on their resume. Beyond Film School will help you finalize a great resume.
Job Shadowing/Intern on Set:
- On a REAL Film Set
- Small Tasks
- Gain Confidence for Your Next Gig on Set
After you complete the in-class portion of the course you will move on to job shadowing. We put you on set observe and help out on set. This is your trial run. You take what you learned and apply it on set. This will give you the confidence you need to be a great PA on set! Your Instructor will give you small tasks and this will count as a credit for you on your resume as well.
- Critique/Feedback of Your Day Job Shadowing
After your job shadowing day you will get feedback. What did you do right? What did you do wrong? How was your attitude? You will find out. You can’t get better without critique.
- Work with Your Instructor on Their Next Film
- Your Name and Info will be Passed to Those Seeking PAs for Their Next Project.
After your day shadowing there is a possibility you will work under your instructor as a PAID/UNPAID PA on future projects. You also have the possibility to be referred to other projects as well. This is based on your performance in class, during your job shadowing, and during every interaction with your instructor.
- Meet Fellow Beyond Film School PAs
- Meet Other Professionals in the Industry
- Topic Nights – Discuss things in the Industry
- Networking Events
Most of the film industry is who you know! 90% of your jobs will come through networking. We will have monthly or quarterly networking events that will have you meet people. We might be hosted by Beyond Film School or other organizations. We also will have a traditional meeting to get together to discuss things in the industry.
Completing the course will give you access to your instructor.
Your instructor will help you along your way navigating the film industry. Had trouble on set? Have a question on how to handle certain things? You have access to your instructor to get the guidance you need.
We prepare you for a successful first day on set even if you have ZERO experience.
We take your goals in mind as well. Beyond Film School wants you to be successful. This means we don’t want you to stay a PA forever. We want to get you in the path that you want to be in. Maybe that’s just trying to figure out what you want to do in the industry – and that’s totally fine. Maybe you have a more focused plan – we can help.
Application fee: $15.00
Entire Course and Mentorship: $595
- Full Payment to be made if accepted within 7 days of acceptance.
What You Get:
- 6 Hour Class
- Job Shadowing
- Surveillance Mic for Walkie
- Finalized Resume
- Job referral
- Networking Events
Beyond film school wants to promote diversity in gender, race, and income in the film industry. If you feel you can not afford the mentorship program you can apply on a scholarship basis. We choose one candidate per class on a scholarship basis.
6-Hour Class only: $195.00
- This DOES NOT include Job shadowing
- This DOES NOT include Resume Finalization
- This DOES NOT include Job Referral
- This DOES NOT include mentorship
- This DOES NOT include networking events
Maybe all you want is to learn what to know to be ready on a film set. The course will do that.